Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Yoga Ramblings: Crossfit or Yoga?

Well normally I would be super stoked about tonight's yoga, but I have come down with a cold coupled with an awful cough...so I have to miss community yoga tonight so I can nip this cold in the butt! Don't want to be that girl who is coughing up a lung in the middle of flow through, so I'm staying in tonight (pretty sad about it because I just LOVE community yoga) But gotta get healthy right?  Right :)
On other notes, this weeks ramblings we are going to compare and contrast the infamous Crossfit with Yoga. There is much to compare and contrast when it comes to these two work out regimes, but I am just going to go over MY personal opinion and share some pertinent information. 

Crossfit is a core strength and conditioning program. It has been used by Olympic athletes but has become a huge hype here in America, and probably other countries as well. I have found a decent explanation from Wikipedia:
 "CrossFit describes its strength and conditioning program as “constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement," with the stated goal of improving fitness (and therefore general physical preparedness which it defines as "work capacity across broad time and modal domains."[ Workouts are typically short—20 minutes or less—and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many kettly bell and medicine ball exercises,  and boxes for box jump These elements are mixed in numerous combinations to form prescribed "Workouts of the Day" or "WODs". Hour-long classes at affiliated gyms, or "boxes," typically include a warm-up, a skill development segment, the high-intensity WOD, and a period of individual or group stretching. Performance on each WOD is often scored and/or ranked to encourage competition and to track individual progress. Some affiliates offer additional classes, such as Olympic weightlifting, which are not centered around a WOD"

So do you understand now? Egh, probably about as much as I did after I read it. Here are some layman's terms for you: Crossfit is a competitive workout against yourself and others in your gym. There is a board and you get your name up on the board when you reach a certain goal. If you like a competitive work out regime, then Crossfit is DEFINITELY for you. If you like being able to show off and brag about your goals, then Crossfit is DEFINITELY for you. If you want a high intense quick workout, then go with Crossfit. But please know that not every Crossfit Box has professionally trained coaches. And what I mean is that the hype is growing so fast with Crossfit that people are devising their own crossfit gyms and letting people come in to join the fun without correct certification. This could result in serious problems, including injuries, that may not be reversible. So please check your sources before joining a gym, please!

Current Crossfitters, you should definitely include yoga in your routine. And I'm not saying once a week to your 5/week crossfit. I'm talking about everytime you crossfit, you should practice yoga too. It is very beneficial to ALL workout regimes, especially Crossfit. They compliment each other very well and will help to ensue the "PRs" you are reaching for. Not only will it increase your stamina, it will increase your flexibility, which in turn will further your Crossfit goals.


Go to this chic's blog for her Yoga/Crossfit Regime 


Personally, I have no desire to do Crossfit because I don't want to bulk up and those who say you won't are lying. Every person's body is different, true, but when you are strictly doing weight training then you will see results... in the form of ripped muscle. Call me old fashioned, but I don't find it attractive on women, and neither does my husband; therefore, Crossfit is NOT for me. But it may be for YOU if that is the look you are going for. I think it is fantastic for men because they aren't supposed to be soft and feminine. Again, my personal opinion, so don't repremand me for it ..puhlease :) This world wouldn't be so diverse if we all had the same opinion, now would it? :)

So are you a Crossfitter, a Yogi, or somewhere in between?
I'm definitely a yogi, I like having no competition with myself or others. I like knowing that just sitting is Yoga. But hey....that's ME! But whatever you are, kudos to YOU for doing something. In reality, that is the most important thing, to keep yourself moving and a positive outlook!  :)




~Happy Ramblings~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the support ! :) Peace and Love! :)